JOIN US FOR YOUTH SERVICE AMERICA’S GLOBAL YOUTH SERIVICE DAY 2018
Grow Local South Texas was chosen as a Lead Agency for 2018’s Global Youth Service Day and we would like to invite your organization or school to partner with us in activating youth service within the Texas Coastal Bend!
Global Youth Service Day (GYSD) takes place from April 20 to April 22, 2018 and involves the service of youth from ages 5 to 25. The 2018 theme of service for our region is “to address the issues of hunger, food security, nutrition & nutrition related diseases and the promotion of sustainable agriculture.” Youth led service projects of all types, big and small, that address these issues are eligible for participation in GYSD. As a lead agency, Grow Local South Texas is committed to providing coordination assistance, promotion of projects, communication of grant opportunities, and technical knowledge to participating organizations and schools. We will also be holding our own service project during the above dates as well as a Celebration & Recognition Event open to all participants and their parents on April 22, 2018. This event will recognize the youth’s efforts and encourage them to take pride in their service and continue service endeavors into their future.
Now in its 30th year, Global Youth Service Day is the largest and longest-running youth service event in the world, and the only event dedicated to celebrating the contributions that young people make to their communities year-round.
With grant funding from The Charles Stewart Mott Foundation along with training and support from YSA (Youth Service America), Grow Local South Texas will lead high-impact, high- visibility service activities and celebration events for Global Youth Service Day (GYSD). As the official organizer of GYSD in our region, GYSD Lead Agencies are a vital part of YSA’s work to create a culture where all young people have the opportunities and the support they need to find their voice, take action, and make an impact on vital community issues.
HOW CAN YOU HELP ENGAGE YOUTH (AGES 5-25) IN THE PROMOTION OF A SUSTAINABLE HEALTHY COMMUNITY?
As our area’s Lead Agency, Grow Local South Texas needs community partners who would like to work with us to engage our youth in service projects that “address the issues of hunger, food security, nutrition & nutrition related diseases and the promotion of sustainable agriculture.”
IF YOU ARE PART OF A COMMUNITY ORGANIZATION OR SCHOOL that would like to be a partner in 2018’s Global Youth Service Day to engage youth ages 5-25 in service that addresses the above issues, please REVIEW & SUBMIT THIS FORM or email email@example.com for more info.
Want to participate but do not have a project already in mind? Contact us and we can brainstorm a project with you, or take a look at the following list for projects that fit your organization/school:
- Hold an art poster contest to promote eating nutritious foods or sustainable agriculture.
- Hold an essay contest where students provide their best solutions to make our community food secure for all of its citizens.
- Build portable raised beds (or portable container gardens) and gather gardening materials to be distributed to local citizens who may struggle with food security.
- Gather materials and seeds and create a raised bed vegetable garden at your location.
- Plant fruit trees at your location, with a youth project on the importance of fresh fruit in their diets.
- Design and create nutrition bulletin boards to display at your school promoting healthy eating and fresh fruits & vegetables.
- Hold a food drive for a charity or prepare simple, healthy meals for a charity or the food insecure in our community.
- Organize a letter writing campaign where youth express their ideas on nutrition in schools, food insecurity or related issues.
- Hold a fair with science projects that revolve around nutrition, healthy food, food producing plants or sustainable agriculture.
OUR CURRENT PARTNER ORGANIZATIONS/SCHOOLS FOR GLOBAL YOUTH SERVICE DAY ARE
Legacy Preschool of Portland
London Elementary School/London Elementary Green Club
St. Luke’s United Methodist Church
Sinton High School Garden Club
GLOBAL YOUTH SERVICE DAY IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY